Department of Chemistry Biochemistry

How to Apply

Please visit our FAQ page for answers to your questions about applying to our Graduate Programs.

Applications for the Ph.D. Programs are accepted for Fall Semester only. The application and all supporting documents for admission are due by January 15th of each year. To be eligible for admission to a graduate program:

  • You must have completed a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a related discipline.
  • Your GPA should be at least 3.0.
  • You must have taken the General GRE test (Quantitative, Verbal and Writing) and, if necessary, the TOEFL within the past two years. A subject GRE is not required but is strongly recommended. Preference is given to applicants with a good subject GRE score.
  • You should have prior research experience, and one of your letters of recommendation should be from your current research supervisor

All applications are submitted online. The online application process consists of two parts.

First, you must submit a General Application to Graduate Education. All applying students, both domestic and overseas, are required to pay the graduate school application fee ($70 for domestic and $90 for international). The application fee will be REFUNDED to all students who are accepted into and agree to join our program. Please note that this is a change in policy compared to previous application years.

You will need the following information in preparation for completing the Graduate Education application:

  • The beginning/ending dates and location(s) of your academic degree(s);
  • Grade point average (GPA) calculation - Information for calculating overall and junior-senior undergraduate and graduate GPA can be found on the Graduate Education website: for grading systems using a 4.0 scale and for grading systems that do not use the 4.0 system.
  • Your GRE and TOEFL Scores (unofficial scores can be used in your initial application)
  • Arizona Residency information if you are a resident in the state of Arizona

When you have completed this part of the application, you will need to mail one set of official transcripts/mark sheets from every institution from which a bachelor's or higher degree was earned to the office of Graduate Education. Students who are applying from Indian Institutions must send BOTH their Certificate and Their Mark Sheets. You do not need to submit Arizona State University transcripts. Detailed information on the Graduate Education application process, including the mailing address to send official documents, can be found at:

Before you can be officially admitted, official GRE and TOEFL (for international students) test scores must be sent to Graduate Education by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Use the institution Code 4007. If a department code is required, use 000 for the GRE and 99 for the TOEFL. A Chemistry Subject GRE score is not required but is strongly recommended. Preference is given to applicants with a good subject GRE score.

Click HERE to begin your application to Graduate Education.
Second, you must submit a Supplemental Application directly to the School of Molecular Sciences. In order to submit the supplemental application to the Department, you will need an ASURITE ID from Graduate Education. You will receive your ASURITE by email from Graduate Education 1 - 3 days after you submit your application to them. Graduate Education will not send your ASURITE ID until you COMPLETE AND SUBMIT their general application (see above).

To apply to the Department you will need to have the following information:

  • Areas of Research and Faculty Member Interest
  • A brief personal Statement that includes a narrative concerning your motivations for graduate study in Chemistry & Biochemistry, a discussion of any long-term career goals, further information on research and potential faculty interests and a list of all honors, awards and scholarships . It is particularly important to describe your research experience and list any publications.
  • Test scores and GPA information
  • Contact information for Three (3) faculty members who will write letters of recommendation for you, and can comment on your suitability for advanced scholarly work. One of these must be your current research supervisor. If you are currently employed full-time, only one of these letters can be from your employer. Faculty member letters are much more important than letters from employers.
  • A copy of your unofficial transcripts. Do not send any materials by mail to the School of Molecular Sciences.
  • If you wish to be considered for an IGERT SUN fellowship, you will also need to add a letter of intent to the end of your personal statement that describes your motivation and commitment regarding solar energy research along with your ideas for conveying this enthusiasm to broader audiences, and how you think the IGERT SUN program will enhance your professional development. For further information click HERE.
Click HERE to begin your supplemental application to the School of Molecular Sciences (address:

Additional Requirements for International Applicants: If English is not your native language, you must provide evidence of English proficiency as indicated by acceptable scores on the TOEFL or IELTS as follows:

  • The minimum TOEFL requirement for admission to the Graduate College is 80 (iBT). However, the School of Molecular Sciences requires a score on the speaking section of the iBT of 20 or above. You will be required to report your score on the Speaking section of the iBT when submitting your Supplemental Application to the Department. Competitive candidates will have an overall TOEFL score of 100 or better and Speaking score of at least 22.
  • The minimum IELTS requirement is an overall band score of 6.5 with no individual band below a 6.0. Competitive candidates will have overall band score of 7.0 and a speaking score of at least 6.5.

Applicants who have achieved one of the following at a regionally accredited college/university in the United States do not need to submit evidence of English proficiency:

  • Earned a bachelor's degree or higher
  • Completed a minimum of 12 semester hours of graduate level study with a GPA of 3.00 or higher
  • Completed at least 90 undergraduate semester credit hours with a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher

If your most recent test was taken more than two years prior to when you start classes at ASU, you must retake the TOEFL/IELTS. Official test scores should be sent by the Educational Testing Service as soon as possible. When ordering a score report from ETS, use institution code 4007. Do not use a department code. Further information on the TOEFL examination and the schedule for exam locations can be found at Applications can not be processed without valid evidence of English proficiency.

Before an international applicant can be granted a student visa, the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service requires verification that the applicant has the financial resources to cover their expenses during their graduate study. The required Financial Guarantee Form can be downloaded from the website of ASU Graduate Education at The required Financial Guarantee Form should not be completed unless you have received and accepted an offer of admission. Instructions on completing this form will be sent with your admissions notice. All international academic records must be submitted in the original language accompanied by an official English translation. Translations must be literal and complete versions of original records, and the documents must be translated by a university, a government official, or an official translation service.

Please Note: Due to differences in the educational system, the School of Molecular Sciences at ASU requires all students who have received their education from an institution in India to have completed their Master's degree by the semester in which they want to begin their graduate program.

Students Wanting to Transfer from Another Graduate Program, or Who Have Previously Been in Another Graduate Program in the U.S.

We rarely accept students who are wish to transfer from another graduate program. If you are currently in another graduate program, or if you have already been in another graduate program in chemistry or biochemistry in the United States, then you will need to supply three letters of recommendation from your CURRENT institution, i.e. the one that you are transferring from, or the graduate institution that you previously attended. Please do not have any letters sent from earlier (undergraduate) institutions. Specifically, we will need a letter from your CURRENT RESEARCH ADVISOR (or prior graduate research advisor in a U.S. graduate program) stating explicitly why you want to transfer to ASU. If we do not get such a letter from your advisor, we will NOT be able to review your application.

Please visit our FAQ page for answers to your questions about applying to our Graduate Programs.